Health of Older Persons (HOPS)
The community HOPS is part of a multidisciplinary team providing Geriatric assessment, Psycho geriatric assessment, nursing assessment, referral to allied health and care co-ordination services.
The aim of our services is to improve the health and wellbeing of older adults in both the community and in aged residential care throughout our district.
- Assessment and treatment of patients living in the community, provision of hospital based clinics.
- Referrals to members of our Multidisciplinary team, e.g. Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapists and Social Workers.
- Referral to community supports, e.g. Alzheimers SC, Stay on your feet programme, Accredited Visiting Services, Needs Assessment Service Coordination (NASC), Caring for Carers.
- Support with Advance Care Planning (ACP). Oversight of the "First Home" service. This service provides support and rehabilitation for people in their own home for up to six weeks.
- Assessment, monitoring and support to people who are managing chronic long-term conditions, e.g. Dementia and related behaviour problems, Parkinson's, Heart Disease.
- Service works closely in consultation with your General Practitioner.
Level 1, Timaru Hospital
Your GP will refer you to this service if they feel you would benefit from seeing a multidisciplinary team to assist with any difficulties related to illness affecting you in old age or if they feel you would benefit from a specialist doctor's or nurse's advice regarding your medical condition.
Needs Assessment Service Co-ordination assessors can also refer into the HOPS team.
Dr Stanley Smith - Geriatrician
Dr Genie Pritchett - Geriatrician
Dr Sires Bharathan - Psycho-Geriatrician
Sally Parker - Clinical Nurse Specialist, Gerontology, Community
Mark Eastup - Registered Nurse, Mental Health