Medical Investigations Unit
Cardiac (heart), Pulmonary (lungs) and Vascular (leg artery) tests are done in the Medical Investigation Unit (MIU).
The MIU is open Monday – Friday from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM. Appointments are by referral only. Urgent tests can be requested by calling and taking to staff.
When arriving at the hospital for a test, you must report to the Front Reception desk.
We perform the following diagnostic tests:
- Resting ECG (electrocardiograph)
- Exercise Tolerance Test (exercise ECG, ETT)
- Spirometry (basic lung function test)
- Pulmonary Function Testing (specialised lung function test)
- Holter Monitor (24 hour ECG recording)
- Event Monitor (heart monitor worn for a week or more)
- Blood Pressure Monitor
- Doppler / ABPI (testing arterial blood supply in the legs)
- Exercise ABPI (Doppler before and after exercise)
- Echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) NOTE: currently, Echo is done in the Radiology Department.
- Stress Echocardiogram (Echo done before and after exercise)
Referrals for Resting ECG, Exercise Stress Test, Spirometry, Blood Pressure Monitor and Dopplers can be made directly from your GP to the Medical Investigation Unit (MIU).
Referrals for Pulmonary Function Testing, Holter Monitors, Event Monitors, Exercise ABPI and Echocardiogram can only be made by hospital physicians. Your GP can write to them to request these tests. If the physicians agree, the referral will be sent to the MIU for booking.