A medical or clinical laboratory is where tests are performed on specimens in order to obtain information about the health of a patient to assist with diagnosis of damage or disease.
South Canterbury DHB’s laboratory services is a contracted service operated by Medlab South with two collection centre facilities and a laboratory at Timaru Hospital. The laboratory provides an extensive range of diagnostic testing on-site. Specialist testing is provided by Medlab South’s parent company (Southern Community Laboratories) and or Canterbury Health Laboratories. The hospital laboratory provides 24 hour, seven day a week support to the emergency department and wards with community and outpatient services available Monday to Friday.
- Blood bank
|Collection Centre||Opening Hours||Address|
|Dee Street Clinic||Weekdays:|
7:30 AM to 4:15 PM
|4 Dee Street, Timaru|
8:00 AM to 1:00 PM
|104 King Street, Temuka|
7:30 AM to 5:15 PM
|Timaru Hospital, Queen Street, Timaru|
|Dee Street Clinic||Phone: 03 688 6206|
|Temuka Clinic||Phone: 03 615 6579|
|Timaru Hospital Laboratory||Phone: 03 687 2253|
GP and Home collection services
- Rural medical centres may offer a collection service, please speak with your doctor
- Home collection is available for eligible patients, please speak with your doctor.
Referrals are by health professionals including GPs, Midwives, Nurse Practitioners and Specialists
Health info Links or relevant site links
Canterbury Health Laboratories http://www.chl.co.nz/
- Phlebotomists who draws the blood sample from the patient.
- Technicians who focus on collecting, processing and analysing specimens
- Scientists who perform the same duties as technicians but also conduct more advanced testing including evaluation, interpretation, problem solving and providing advice to GPs and specialists.
- Pathologists who are specialist doctors who provide the GP or specialist a diagnosis for certain specimens to assist in the patient’s assessment and or treatment.