Radiology is the medical speciality which uses different types of medical imaging of the internal body (bones or tissue) to assist with diagnosis of damage or disease.
South Canterbury DHB’s radiology services are located at Timaru Hospital. The department offers state of the art equipment operated by health care professionals for interventional, CT, US and MRI procedures. Digital image technology allows for easy storage, fast reporting by medical staff and sharing of images with hospitals and health professionals involved in a patients care. Radiology provides 24 hour acute care to the Emergency Department and wards with community and outpatient services available Monday to Friday.
- General x-ray
- Mobile x-ray and image intensifiers
- Orthopantomography (Dental) x-ray
- Ultrasound (US)
- Interventional radiology
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
South Canterbury DHB Radiology services are delivered from the Timaru Hospital Campus.
|Radiology Department||Level 3, Timaru Hospital|
|MRI Suite||Level 2, Timaru Hospital|
|Timaru Hospital Campus|
|Radiology Department||Ph: 03 687 2240|
Fax 03 687 2241
|MRI Suite||Ph: 03 687 2116|
Fax: 03 687 2424
Referrals are by health professionals including GPs, Nurse Practitioners and Specialists
- Medical Radiation Technologists (MRTs) or Radiographers who perform your x-ray, CT and MRI examinations.
- Sonographers who perform your ultrasound examination
- Radiology Nurses who provide patient care and specialist support for procedures.
- Radiologists who are specialist doctors who interpret your images.