The South Canterbury District Health Board front of hospital redevelopment commenced at the beginning of June 2020. The redevelopment includes a new public and staff café, a new main entrance with an atrium, and an extension to the outpatient’s department.
Simon Johnston, project manager at the Timaru Hospital said, the contract for the $3.4 million front of hospital redevelopment has been awarded to Timaru Construction Limited, and is expected to take 13 months to complete.
The start of the second phase of the Timaru Hospital redevelopment is exciting, as the hospital hasn’t had any major attention since 1996. “it needed to be tidied up and brought into the new century”, says Simon.
In 2019 we set up front of hospital redevelopment working groups with staff and board members as a forum to discuss the redevelopment plans. “These workings groups were very useful to all parties, as it gave the staff the chance to provide feedback and ideas from their colleagues throughout the hospital”, says Simon.
The South Canterbury District Health Board appeals to the community for their understanding and patience when they arrive at the Timaru Hospital during the redevelopment period.
Important information for the community:
- There is strictly no vehicle access to front of hospital for car parking or dropping off patients for the duration of this project. The main entrance is only available for ambulances and the emergency on call teams
- There is a new drop off zone available on the roadside at front of the Timaru Hospital
- There are accessible car parking spaces available for people with disabilities at the back of the Timaru Hospital. Please use the back entrance on High Street to access the accessible car parking spaces which are located by the MRI Suite entrance
- We are very lucky to have plenty of free public carparking options available on Edward Street, behind Kensington Centre, and off High Street
- It is important for patients to allow extra time to find parking when they arrive for appointments at the Timaru Hospital
- The Timaru Hospital visiting hours are from 2pm – 8 pm only. For more information on the latest visitor policy please visit www.scdhb.health.nz.
The South Canterbury District Health Board will continue to provide regular updates to the community for the duration of this redevelopment.